The mission of Millwood Group LLC is to assist parents increase their knowledge, skill, and confidence to advocate for their children so they are better prepared to work collaboratively with school staff members to identify the root causes of negative school experiences and then to transform those experiences into positive, productive ones.
Our Core Beliefs
Following are core beliefs upon which our mission, our approach to consulting, and our services are based:
- Schools, which are part of the mass education enterprise, are intended and designed to address the broad needs of all children and then, secondarily, individual student’s unique needs.
- There is no requirement for schools to provide the level of educational benefit needed to maximize any child's potential.
- Parents whose children have challenges and experience difficulty in school must be knowledgeable, skilled, confident, advocates for their children who understand local school operations and procedures, all applicable laws, regulations, and standards, and who understand and use sound advocacy practices.
- Parents whose children have unique needs must thoroughly understand and be able to explain in detail the challenges their children face in school - how their child’s challenges impact access to classroom instruction and their child’s learning.
- Parents must work collaboratively with school staff members to create solutions to their child's school problems, get and keep those solutions in place, and monitor progress.
- Parents know their child better than anyone else.
- Parents are natural advocates for their children. When outside parties are brought to school team meetings, trust and collaboration are often adversely impacted.
Millwood Group LLC was founded by Al Early. During the latter years of a long career as a school administrator, becoming an independent consultant, who could assist parents with their problem solving for their children who were having significant negative experiences in school, emerged as a career objective. This objective became a reality in 2013, when Al retired from school administration and the “Millwood Group” became a limited liability company (LLC) through which Al now provides educational consulting services.
Millwood Group LLC is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services.