Millwood Group LLC's mission is to assist parents of children who are experiencing difficulty in school better understand the "mass education enterprise" so they can then work collaboratively with school personnel to create solutions for their children.
We work with parents of children who are in regular education, those who suspect their child may have a disability, and those whose children already have an IEP or a 504 Plan.
Our Core Beliefs
Following are core beliefs upon which our mission, our approach to consulting, and our services are based:
- Schools, which are part of the mass education enterprise, are intended and designed to address the broad needs of all children and then, secondarily, individual student’s unique needs.
- There is no federal or state requirement for schools to provide the level of educational benefit needed to maximize any child's potential.
- Parents whose children have challenges and experience difficulty in school must be knowledgeable, skilled, confident, advocates for their children who understand local school operations and procedures, all applicable laws, regulations, and standards, and who understand and use sound advocacy practices.
- Parents whose children have unique needs must thoroughly understand and be able to explain in detail the challenges their children face in school - how their child’s challenges impact access to classroom instruction and their child’s learning.
- Parents must work collaboratively with school staff members to create solutions to their child's school problems, get and keep those solutions in place, and monitor progress.
- Parents know their child better than anyone else.
- Parents are natural advocates for their children. When outside parties are brought to school team meetings, trust and collaboration are often adversely impacted.
Millwood Group LLC is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services.